KOJAIN Merit Scholarship Program – 2017
KOJAIN is soliciting candidates for the 2017 Merit Scholarships. Eligibility Criteria and submission requirements for the Scholarship are listed below.
- Provide your email address on the application. Your application receipt will be sent to this email address.
- All materials submitted with the application will become the property of KOJAIN and will not be returned under any circumstances. If needed, make a copy of the information for yourself before mailing.
- Applicant will be notified of Judges’ decision by the 3rd week of September 2017.
- A list of winners will appear on the KOJAIN website at kojain.org and will be published in the December issue of KOJAIN newsletter.
- The KOJAIN Scholarship program is administered by the scholarship committee appointed by the KOJAIN Board of Directors and is made possible by KOJAIN members’ tax-deductible contribution to the KOJAIN scholarship fund.
- Current High School seniors planning to attend an accredited college full-time in the fall of 2017.
- Applicant whose parents are KOJAIN Life Members.
- Grade point average of at least 3.0 on an unweighted 4.0 scale.
Your package must contain the following Documents:
- Submit a 4-year high school transcript, including the 2014-2017 school year. Photocopies are acceptable. If mailed by the school, the transcript must still be post-marked by deadline given elsewhere.
- Copies of American College Testing (ACT) or Scholastic Aptitude Testing (SAT), or any other entrance examination scores.
- Provide one written recommendation and character reference from a teacher, counselor, friend, or a KOJAIN member (not related to applicant). Recommendation must be submitted with the application package.
- List and briefly describe any awards and/or extracurricular services and activities on separate pages (not to exceed two pages). Please provide enough information so that the selection committee will understand the nature of your services and activities.
- Two passport size photographs (Name written on the back).
- Essay. Requirements & Topics are given below.
- Write an essay in which you develop your point of view on any one of the topics presented below. Support your position with reasoning and examples taken from your readings, studies, experience, or observations. The typed (double-spaced) essay must be at least 1000 words but, must not exceed 1200 words in Times New Roman Font, 12 point
- What do you consider to be the single most important societal problem in the United States today? Why?
- Tell a story from your life, describing an experience that either demonstrates your character or helped to shape it.
- In what ways did either the Jain religion or Kachchhi culture impacts your future collage major/career path?
WHOM TO SEND YOUR APPLICATION:
- All of the above materials (except transcript, if necessary) and two-passport size photographs (your name on the back) must be mailed in same 9″ by 12″ (or larger) envelope, postmarked no later than July 20, 2017 to:
Dinesh Chheda 14 Paris Place, Parsippany NJ 07054.
- DO NOT FOLD MATERIALS. DO NOT USE STAPLES OR PAPER CLIPS.
- Alternatively you or your school can e-mail all the documents in .pdf format to the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Merit Scholarship Program
KOJAIN continuously strives very hard to bind, support and stimulate progress amidst the North American Kachchhi Oswal Jain residing in North America and Canada in many walks of life. EDUCATION is one of the key aspects of progress. Scholarship Committee under the KOJAIN Executive Committee has launched this year’s SCHOLARSHIP 2016.
Children of KOJAIN Life Members graduating from the High school from North American and entering colleges/universities for higher education are eligible to apply for one-time scholarship.
KOJAIN has formed a host family network in North America for the benefit of Kachchhi Students coming from India for higher studies here in the United States and Canada. The host families may also host Kachchhi Youths born and/or raised in the U.S., who are visiting other states for college search, job hunting or even for recreational purposes and desiring room and board on a very temporary basis (1 to 2 days).
KOJAIN provides Interest free financial assistance to needy persons in the community of Kachchhi Oswal Jains in North America. Loan program is available for Students as well as for people in need.
To read more about the loan program please click here…